In spite of the most hideous weather imaginable for the time of year, the delphiniums are continuing to grow – just!
We’ve now moved 30 or so plants into our new greenhouse – that was last thing on Good Friday. Today they were staked, tidied and top dressed – just how lucky can a plant get!
One of the drawbacks of having had them crammed into the one house was that it made watering very difficult, as a result some went a little on the dry side with the lower leaves dieing off as a result. Fingers crossed that the top dressing is going to make a big difference. I’ve used this fertiliser in the past. On one occasion, I remember the most pathetic little stem in a pot swelled from the size of a drinking straw (thin one at that) to the size of a thick finger. Speaking of fingers, fingers crossed that the things actually flower in time.
Here’s a shot from earlier this evening – very atmospheric into the sun.
Note the steps and DPC liner – getting the plants in a growing was the priority. Hopefully the surrounding wreckage will be tidied up at some point during the summer…
The plants are now split between the two houses – mostly in the new one as there is nothing else in there.
If you peer into the growing tip of the plants, it’s just possible to see a tiny flower bud.
I’m back off to work first thing so will be back on Friday night – I shall pray for some warmer and brighter weather. Should we get that, I’m expecting to see quite a difference – 7 weeks and counting!
Here’s a shot of our other house. These plants are mostly smaller and less likely to make a good spike.
However, I do recognise that in 7 weeks time, any spike may be a good spike – either way, a few smaller flowers will deffo be a welcome edition.